Tyfton Acres

Tyfton Acres

A Daily Adventure

Baby, it's cold here at Tyfton Acres!

The weather here has been the coldest that we have had in Hamlet, N.C. for many years.  Not only is it really cold, but it has remained cold for days and days.  We have put coats on the goats.  Autymn is having to stay stalled, because the wind is just too cold for her to be out.  Feeding her 12;00 a.m. milk has been a real task.  She was 14 weeks old yesterday and I really should work on weaning her, but  I feel like it is really important that she have her warm milk to get her through the cold.

Last week the ducks got frozen into the pond!  They had a circle about 12 feet wide that they had kept from freezing by swimming around and around and were trapped inside.  Poor babies could not figure out how to get out.  Thankfully, that freeze only lasted about a day and a half!  

We have a breeding pair of Southdown Babydoll sheep here at Tyfton!  We call the ewe, Pushey, and the ram is Meytball.  We are working on getting them registered through the North American Babydoll Southdown Sheep Association.  We have tagged them and had them DNA tested for Scrapie resistance.  Charles is a reluctant shepherd and is definitely not a fan of sheep.  I keep telling him that it will be worth all the bother when we have those cute little lambs.  I don't think he believes me, but he is trying really hard.  Pushey and Meytball are not helping convince him and are living up to their names!

Our new trio of Bourbon Reds  (that we put together with two hens from our last hatch and a tom from the Miller's farm) needs to be put out in the large turkey pen.  We are scared to put them out because we never know when that weasel will return.  Charles made weasel traps and put them all around the turkey pen, but we have not caught a weasel yet.  The grow-out pen that they have been in since they came out of the brooder house is right beside our German Shepherd's kennel, and her barking has apparently kept the turkeys safe.

Our oldest fainting billy would not eat several night ago and we had to make him come out of his shed.  We brought him into the utility room and put the heater in with him. A coat went on the next morning and he seems to have gotten over whatever had him down.  I prayed really hard, because he belongs to Chase (our second grandson).  Losing an animal is always hard, but when it belongs to a child, the loss is even harder.  

Only one more week and the groundhog will come out and look for his shadow.  Hopefully, he will not see it and spring will be on its way!  We are ready here at Tyfton Acres...a donkey foal, new ducklings, turkey poults, and this year, maybe a lamb or two!  New life is exciting and worth the wait through these long winter days and nights!

Lord, keep our animals in your hand....protect us and help us stay warm!  Lord, bless this tired farmer and his wife!

Blog Stats

  • Total posts(12)
  • Total comments(0)

Forgot your password?